My fight journey begins today, Septemeber 1st.
What does that entail?
High level, I want to train, and eventually fight, in mixed martial arts.
I will document my journey.
Where does the journey begin?
- I’m 38 years old.
- Married for 13 years.
- 4 Kiddos (8, 6, 6, and 6)
- Stay at home dad.
- 200.6lbs of (mainly) chubby dad.
- Used to train MMA … 8 years ago. Wasn’t very good at it.
Sounds like great fighter material, right?
Why am I doing this?
- It’s been a dream of mine for years.
- I need to get in “fight shape”.
- I want to show my kids that I have dreams worth chasing.
- I want to show other parents that it’s not too late to chase their dream.
- Raise awareness for a couple causes that are near to my heart (you’ll read about these in my blog).
- Promote the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). I’ve seen so much good in the sport of MMA, I want to highlight that.
The best place to follow this journey is on my Instagram. You’ll see video/photo updates of this journey.
Part of the reason I’m doing this is to make money.
- I’m connected with a site (trainmartialarts.com). This will be promoted throughout the journey. It’s a place to learn how to train martial arts.
- The Couch to Fight journey will be turned into a weight loss program. I will get in healthy shape. And I will show others how I did it, step-by-step. I want to inspire others to get in shape, to fight for their health.
- Sponsors. Fighters make a lot of their income from sponsors. I already have a couple sponsors on board. You’ll hear about them more as the journey continues. If you’re interested in sponsoring me here’s a link.
- What if you lose?
Getting into the ring will be a win for me. I want to win, but it’s not my goal.
- Will you stop at one fight?
- What does success look like?
I want to get in healthy shape (body/mind/soul). Body (185lbs), Mind (Not sure what this means yet), Soul (Not sure what this means yet, either).
- Do I have a support system?
Before I did this I met with my trainer to talk it through, a group of men I highly respect, and my wife (who gave me the ok). The best line I received was from a friend “Life is short, why not?” … and he was right.
Let’s do this!