The best place to follow this journey is via my stories on Instagram at mikeruman.
Wow, week 1 is in the books for my Couch to Fight journey. And I’m very happy it is. It’s been harder than anticipated, but I think I found a good rhythm.
I started this journey at 200.6lbs, one week ago. Today I weighed in at 190.1lbs. 10.5lbs gone.
I’m happy with this progress. I thought I’d lose between 5-7lbs. 10.5lbs exceeded expectations.
I feel good. The first couple days I was battling a cold, but pushed through it.
I’ve also felt great physically. A friend turned me onto a supplement called Colostrum. More about that later. But it is usuppose to help with recovery, and I think it has.
It’s been a bit of the good/bad/ugly back at the gym.
The Good – It’s good just to get to the gym. In this first week I’ve managed to get to seven different classes from kickboxing to striking to grappling to BJJ.
The Bad – Day 3 was tough, more mentally than physically. I had my ‘why am I doing this moment?’. After some soul searching (and talking to my therapist) we came to the conclusion that is a bit of a new project launch hangover, but also some pride issues I had to deal with. I had to admit that I have alot to learn, and it’s going to be hard. But, baby steps, right?
The Ugly – My shins. They are pretty bruised but need to bruise to get stronger. Should be getting stronger in the next few weeks.
- It’s much easier to talk about going on a journey than actually doing it. The hard work is in doing.
- Find a trainer you trust. I have that, I’d be scared out of my mind if I didn’t.
- Telling others adds layers of accountability to something. The more people I tell about this the more people I feel I’ll let down if it doesn’t happen.
- A supportive spouse can mean a world of difference.
- Bring your kids/family along for the journey. My kids ask me what I learned (and show them the moves I’ve learned). They also are curious about the diet and even call me out when I eat something I shouldn’t.
Well, week 2 kicks off today. Should be good. Thanks for journeying with me!