Who are you?
Why are you here?
What impact are you having in the world?
What legacy will you leave behind when you die?
What do you want to be known for?
What do you not want to be known for?
Will anyone miss you when you’re gone?
Are you living for something bigger than yourself?
These are the questions I’ve been wrestling lately.
My current life situation is:
- Stay at home dad (of four small kiddos)
- Entrepreneur (websites/apps)
- Freelancer (website/apps)
It can be a lonely road with any three of those, put them together and it’s Lonely City.
But, what it does is forces you to spend a lot of time with … well, you. This time alone I think a lot. And am wrestling with these.
So Mike, what do you do about this? How do you figure this out?
I like to think in solutions, in frameworks. So we’re going to journey through how to find this … together.
7 Steps to Finding Your Purpose in Life
- Mind map everything you do. Give yourself 10 minutes and have a brain dump. List everything you do. Work, personal, whatever. Put that into a mind map. I like to use Mindmeister for this
- Organize your mind map. Start connecting things. Running and Yoga go together in a physical category.
- Find your five keywords. Study your mind map and narrow it down to five keywords. My five keywords are – parenting, tech, adventures, health, God. Everything I do is either one of those or a combination of one of those.
- Create your personal mission statement. For this I like to use Clay Hebert’s framework for introducing yourself.