Who are you?
Why are you here?
What impact are you having in the world?
What legacy will you leave behind when you die?
What do you want to be known for?
What do you not want to be known for?
Will anyone miss you when you’re gone?
Are you living for something bigger than yourself?
These are the questions I’ve been wrestling lately.
My current life situation is:
- Stay at home dad (of four small kiddos)
- Entrepreneur (websites/apps)
- Freelancer (website/apps)
It can be a lonely road with any three of those, put them together and it’s Lonely City.
But, what it does is forces you to spend a lot of time with … well, you. This time alone I think a lot. And am wrestling with these.
So Mike, what do you do about this? How do you figure this out?
I like to think in solutions, in frameworks. So we’re going to journey through how to find this … together.
7 Steps to Finding Your Purpose in Life
- Mind map everything you do. Give yourself 10 minutes and have a brain dump. List everything you do. Work, personal, whatever. Put that into a mind map. I like to use Mindmeister for this
- Organize your mind map. Start connecting things. Running and Yoga go together in a physical category.
- Find your five keywords. Study your mind map and narrow it down to five keywords. My five keywords are – parenting, tech, adventures, health, God. Everything I do is either one of those or a combination of one of those.
- Create your personal mission statement. For this I like to use Clay Hebert’s framework for introducing yourself.
I [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][verb] [who] [what result I help them achieve]
So for me it’s, I help parents live holistic lives.
This should be a starting off point. To further dive deeper into what this means. Think of yourself at a party. This one sentence could go many ways.
- Create your personal business plan. Three questions to answer here.
What problems in the world are you solving? [my answer] Parents are beat up (mind/body/soul). I create tools to help parents live life to the full.
Whose problems are you solving? [my answer] Parents (mainly dads, but moms, too)
What defines success? [my answer] I want to impact 10,000 parents each year.
- What training/relationships do you need to be successful? A bit tactical here but if you want to help people in the physical realm maybe you need some health coach training. Who do you need to know? What do you need to know?
- Go! So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:17
You must take action. I like to categorize this in:
30 Days – Goals and success metrics
60 Days – Goals and success metrics
90 Days – Goals and success metrics
I create a fill in the blank guide to walk you through this.
If you’re feeling brave fill out this worksheet and send it to me. I’d be happy to review it.
[fusion_button link=”https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J5Zwh2TayOjJnsZ91YpO-_eUMNYoc2WooiJEXorbWoY/edit?usp=sharing” target=”_blank”>#” color=”default” size=”xlarge” stretch=”” type=”” shape=”” target=”_blank” title=”” gradient_colors=”|” gradient_hover_colors=”|” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” bevel_color=”” border_width=”0px” icon=”fa-download” icon_divider=”no” icon_position=”right” modal=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ animation_offset=”” alignment=”left” class=”” id=””]DOWNLOAD PURPOSE IN LIFE WORKSHEET[/fusion_button]
[fusion_separator style_type=”none” top_margin=”20″ bottom_margin=”” sep_color=”” border_size=”” icon=”” icon_circle=”” icon_circle_color=”” width=”” alignment=”center” class=”” id=””/][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]